MTL Busking Handbook (Part 3: MusiMétroMontréal and Étoiles du Métro)
Benefits for the MTL Busker
In Part 1 we give you some tips to busking inside Montreal’s metro stations, and Part 2 tells you the rules and regulations that follow. But if you want to gain some headway, there are a few perks you might want to check out. MusiMétroMontréal is an organization whose main goal is to represent metro musicians and provide them with certain benefits. To become a member, remember that auditions are coming up May 23rd. Be sure to reserve a place soon! Information regarding these benefits can be found below…
Getting an MMMA card provides musicians with several benefits beyond busking, and is provided by MusiMétroMontréal once you become a member. To do this you must pass their audition and there is one coming up this May. If this interests you, please go to their application page. The current prices of annual membership is…
$58.00 (tax included) for musicians who are part of a solo or duo act.
$46.00 (tax included) for musicians who are part of a trio act or more.
The benefits of an MMMA card include…
(1) Having your name in the musicians directory.
(2) Opportunity to play at an annual concert at Café Campus and other locations.
(3) Participation at the nightly Berri-UQAM draw. This is held every evening at 23:00 (St. Denis exit) to determine the order of performances at four busking locations inside Berri-UQAM metro station. Details can be found in the Rules & Regulations section in the handbook.
(4) The right to vote at the annual MusiMétroMontréal elections.
(5) Receiving frequent offers to play at locations outside of the STM metro stations. These gigs will be paid by the MMMA, assuming you have a S.I.N. (Social Insurance Number). Some gigs are unpaid but allow an ‘open case’ for people to give money, similar to any busking location. These offers will be sent to your email address after becoming a member.
In 2016, up to 200 hours of performances were awarded to MMMA musicians at the following locations…
- Plaza St-Hubert
- Promenade Fleury
- Jean-Talon Market
- Several public markets for St-Jean-Baptiste Day
- Quartier Latin
- Crescent Street
- Various private concerts
UPCOMING AUDITIONS MAY 2018
MMMA auditions will be taking place on Wednesday, 23 May, 2018 inside De l’Église Metro by the l’Église exit. The audition runs from 18:00 to 20:00 and costs $25.00 to enter. You can play acoustically or with an amp, and have 10 minutes to play for the jury! Fill out a registration form here and wait for a confirmation email with the time of audition. Best of luck!
“Étoiles du Métro”
“Étoiles du Métro” is a program showcasing new talent around the city. The program has been running since 2012 and operates through a number of auditions open to everyone. Passing these will give the performer access to several benefits, provided exclusively for “Étoiles du Métro” musicians. These benefits include…
(1) Access to seven performance locations reserved for “Étoiles du Métro” musicians.
(2) Regular promotion from the STM and MMMA, both inside metro stations and at major events around Montreal.
(3) Access to a performance reservation calendar.
(4) Provision of a personalized banner that can be installed at the location you are performing.
(5) Opportunity to perform in over 10 major events held by STM’s partners in Montréal.
We regret to inform you that there are no auditions for Étoiles du Métro this year. There will be more in 2019. If you wish to take part in the program or want to find out more about Étoiles du Métro, please contact MusiMétroMontréal (their details can also be found at the bottom of the page). Thanks for reading and happy busking! We’ve left you with a metro map below. Feel free to check out Part 1, Part 2 and our busking page for the best places to busk!
Address: 1370 Rue Mont-Royal Est, CP 83636 csp Garnier
Montréal, Québec H2J 4E9
Phone: (514) 729-6874
Youtube Page: https://www.youtube.com/user/musimetromontreal
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/musimetromontreal