MTL Busking Handbook
Part 3: MusiMétroMontréal and Étoiles du Métro
*This article was written on July 21st, 2018 and so some information may be out of date. We will be working on an update shortly, and apologize for the inconvenience.
* Due to COVID-19, performances in the metro are temporarily suspended – source STM
Benefits for the MTL Busker
In Part 1 we gave you some tips to busking inside Montreal’s metro stations; Part 2 tells you the rules and regulations that follow. But if you want to gain some headway, there are a few perks you might want to check out. MusiMétroMontréal is an organization whose main goal is to represent metro musicians and provide them with certain benefits. To become a member, please keep an eye out for auditions – usually in the spring or fall. The next ones we hear about will be updated below and announced on our Facebook page. Information regarding these benefits can be found below…
Getting an MMMA card provides musicians with several benefits beyond busking. It’s provided by MusiMétroMontréal once becoming a member and auditions must be passed first. If this interests you, please go to their application page. The current prices of annual membership is…
$58.00 (tax included) for musicians who are part of a solo or duo act.
$46.00 (tax included) for musicians who are part of a trio act or more.
The benefits of an MMMA card include…
(1) Having your name in the musicians directory.
(2) Opportunity to play at an annual concert at Café Campus and other locations.
(3) Participation at the nightly Berri-UQAM draw. This is held every evening at 23:00 (St. Denis exit) to determine the order of performances at four busking locations inside Berri-UQAM metro station. Details can be found in the Rules & Regulations section in the handbook.
(4) The right to vote at the annual MusiMétroMontréal elections.
(5) Receiving frequent offers to play at locations outside of the STM metro stations. These gigs will be paid by the MMMA, assuming you have a S.I.N. (Social Insurance Number). Some gigs are unpaid but allow an ‘open case’ for people to give money, similar to any busking location. These offers will be sent to your email address after becoming a member.
In 2016, up to 200 hours of performances were awarded to MMMA musicians at the following locations…
- Plaza St-Hubert
- Promenade Fleury
- Jean-Talon Market
- Several public markets for St-Jean-Baptiste Day
- Quartier Latin
- Crescent Street
- Various private concerts
LAST AUDITIONS MAY 2018
The most recent MMMA auditions were held on Wednesday, 23 May, 2018 inside De l’Église metro by the l’Église exit. The auditions ran from 18:00 to 20:00 and costed $25.00 to enter. 10 minutes were given to play for the jury, acoustically or with an amp, and a registration form was provided on their website. Upcoming auditions will be updated in this handbook and on our Facebook page. Stay tuned!
“Étoiles du Métro”
“Étoiles du Métro” is a program showcasing selected talent around the city. The program has been running since 2012 and operates through annual auditions open to everyone. Passing these gives the performer several benefits provided exclusively for “Étoiles du Métro” musicians. These benefits include…
(1) Access to seven performance locations reserved for “Étoiles du Métro” musicians.
(2) Regular promotion from the STM and MMMA, both inside metro stations and at major events around Montreal.
(3) Access to a performance reservation calendar.
(4) Provision of a personalized banner that can be installed at the location you are performing.
(5) Opportunity to perform in over 10 major events held by STM’s partners in Montréal.
[ 2018 Update : These locations are now open to everyone ]
We regret to inform you that there are no auditions for Étoiles du Métro this year. There will hopefully be more in 2019. If you wish to take part in the program or want to find out more about Étoiles du Métro, please contact MusiMétroMontréal [details at the bottom of the page] or the STM. Thanks for reading and happy busking! We’ve left you with a metro map below. Feel free to check out Part 1, Part 2 and our busking page for more busking info!
YouTube Page: https://www.youtube.com/user/musimetromontreal
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/musimetromontreal
Address: 1370 Rue Mont-Royal Est, CP 83636 csp Garnier
Montréal, Québec H2J 4E9